Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Romantic Realist, Really?

My work was featured on the ArtistADay website on July 16. It's been fun reading the comments by various viewers. A couple have mentioned Romantic Realism as a genre for my work. Curiosity piqued I turned to Google and Wiki for a quick definition. 

Ann Rand defined romantic realism as a portrayal of life "as it could be and should be." She wrote: "The method of romantic realism is to make life more beautiful and interesting than it actually is, yet give it all the reality, and even a more convincing reality than that of our everyday existence."

Today's realists have many modifiers attached as we and others try to categorize our work. Contemporary, Traditional, Social, Political, Hyper, Photo... If Romantic Realism means a love of beauty and discipline of technical skills then I'm fine with the label. Does it also include work of a conceptual and symbolic nature like my work? 

Considering the piece that is on my easel at the moment they may very well be right. This piece is in progress, 30x40, as yet untitled and is for my two-person show with Forrest Solis at Peterson-Cody Gallery in Santa Fe, NM, in November 2011.




I invite you to visit the ArtistADay website and rate my work by clicking on one of the boxes 1-5, five being the highest, You can also share that page with your facebook friends by clicking the like button under Share.

ArtistADay is available as a Google gadget for your Google home page. I have it on mine and enjoy seeing a new artist each day from all over the world.

4 comments:

  1. Romantic realism sounds good to me! Upbeat, enjoyable images, jawdropping technique- what's not to like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, interesting you say obvious. I don't think of myself as a photo realist, they generally like their work look like a photograph, My work in person looks like paint. There is brush work there, delicate but it's there. That's why I post so many close-ups on the blog. Much translation happens between the original photo shoot and the painting. Thanks for looking :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...