Monday, March 4, 2013

Aloft

I have just finished two posthumous portraits. The first of which I'm sharing here. I'll share the other later.
Aloft, 24x54, oil on canvas over panel




The design started with a photo of the model being held up by the three men in the painting. The original photograph was a flashed snapshot so it was super challenging to have the paint look lively. I used several different photos of the model's face as reference as well.

The design involved many different body-double photographs since the photo was cropped in such a way that the hands and much of the bodies from all the subjects were not included in the photo.

My client (the model's husband) and I talked about what the painting should entail and he told me his wife was a fun loving person. She was from New Orleans and had an unconventional spirit. After that conversation I wanted to make this composition work. I knew it captured her playful spirit and was a good place to start.

I've been working on this piece off and on since last summer and consistently since November. I have left my DNA all over this painting in the form of blood, sweat and tears, no kidding.

But I am happy to say the painting has been approved. The model's friends and family that have seen it online think I have captured her likeness and her spirit. I could not be more pleased.

My client shared a favorite quote from my model from her high school year book.
“On with the dance, let joy be unconfined." ~Byron

I will be delivering the two paintings later this month. I’m honored and humbled to have been charged with the task of painting Karen. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to help celebrate her joyous dance through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...