Sunday, April 7, 2013

Ode to Melancholy or an Ode to Joy?

I'm so pleased to announce that my painting Ode to Melancholy has won a Certificate of Excellence in the Portrait Society of America's 2013 International Competition. 
"Ode to Melancholy", 24x36, oil on panel
Ode to Melancholy is a portrait of my daughter at a sad time in her life. In painting her, she became a stand in for our melancholia, a universal human experience. It reminded me that to understand joy one must fully experience the melancholy, the painful parts of life, not just get through them. There is a sweetness in experiencing life fully and John Keats put it so well in his poem that I borrowed his title for the title of my painting.

The Portrait Society of America has put together a beautiful collection of paintings that have won the 20 Certificate of Excellence Awards, and the 20 Finalists. The Finalist's paintings will be at the Art of the Portrait Conference, April 26-29 in Atlanta, GA. It will be wonderful to see them in person!

(I've had Ray Charles and Georgia on my mind.
I'm so looking forward to seeing friends from around the country!)

I will be there with The Incognito Project book, at the Artist's Book Signing table, Friday, April 26 at 12:30 pm. If you are at the conference stop by and see me! The book will be available at a special conference price of $55,  $10 off the usual retail price. 

Professor Rattus and Her Royal Court, Pages 94-95

Professor Rattus and Her Royal Court, Pages 98-99
 The Activist Pages 110-111

Ode to Melancholy has proved to be a favorite with judges over the past year. Maybe because it is such a heart felt moment.  It won an Honorable Mention in The Artist’s Magazine 2012 All-Media Online Competition, an Art Renewal Center’s 2012 International Salon, Chairman’s Choice Award and was a finalist in The Artist Magazine’s  2012 competition.

Ode to Melancholy is in my studio for the time being. If you'd like to see it, just let me know. Not around Pelham, AL? I guess a few close-ups will have to suffice. 






2 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!! Your work continues to inspire. And i absolutely LOVE my book!! BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Suzanne! And I'm so pleased to hear you are happy with our book. It was a labor of love!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...